2016-2017 National Advance Specials
Participating in God’s mission and ministry is where our United Methodist connection may be strongest. Through our participation in programs and projects across the United States by giving to the Advance we make a difference in the lives of people who need our caring presence.
The “Caring Connection” of National Missions Institutions related to the Missional Ministries Board includes 103 institutions located across the United States such as community centers, schools, colleges, health care facilities and women’s residences. Through these ministries we can participate as witnesses to the redeeming love of God in Christ to those in special need: the stranger, the hungry, the broken and hurting. Your gift makes a difference, and 100 percent of your gift through the Advance goes to the project or ministry. The mission and ministries listed below are being promoted by the conference Missional Ministries Board for 2016-2017.
1. District of Columbia: Christ House A recovery facility that provides for the physical and emotional needs of homeless men and women. (#381215)
2. Kentucky: Red Bird Mission, Inc., Beverly Community education and outreach programs in rural Appalachia. (#773726)
3. Tennessee: Jubilee Project, Inc., Sneedville Leadership development and community organizing in an impoverished area. (#781350)
4. Kentucky: Henderson Settlement, Frakes Programs for disadvantaged teenagers, parents and the elderly. (#773365)
5. South Dakota: Tree of Life Ministry A ministry with Native Americans at the Rosebud and Crow Creek Reservations. (#123615)
6. USA: Justice for Our Neighbors Immigration Ministry Engaging congregations to welcome immigrants and provide free, quality immigration legal services. (#901285)
7. Southeastern Jurisdiction: Volunteers In Mission Assists those offering their skills in this country and abroad. (#901875)
8. USA: Response and Recovery to Natural Disaster Responds to emergencies such as tornadoes and flooding throughout the United States. (#901670)
9. Society of St. Andrew Provides direct relief to the hungry through three main programs: Gleaning Network, Potato Project and Harvest of Hope education retreat program. The ministries provide unique opportunities for United Methodists to live their faith as disciples of Jesus Christ. (#801600)
10. Mississippi: Choctaw United Methodist Mission Progressing towards health and wholeness and developing Choctaw leadership. (#761544)
11. USA: Project Crossroads Providing homes, firewood, meals and disaster response for the elderly, the handicapped and families. (#781380)