Board of Higher Education and Campus Ministries
Higher Education Home Page
Campus Ministry Reporting Forms
Scholarships and Financial Aid (United Methodist Higher Education Foundation)
Theology of Campus Ministry Article (pdf)
2016 Submission of Names for College-Bound Students
John Wesley had a passion for uniting faith and knowledge in educating the whole person. Since 1784, hundreds of institutions of learning have been founded by United Methodists or its predecessor denominations in the United States.
That heritage continues today in the sponsorship of 10 major research universities, 13 seminaries, 82 liberal arts colleges, eight two-year colleges, one professional school and nine college preparatory schools. Your United Methodist Church continues to be involved in higher education today — faithful people cultivating faithful minds for faithful lives.
The Board of Higher Education Ministries provides the connectional relationship between the General Church, annual conference, district and local churches and promotes the work and ministry of higher education and campus ministry. The Board has disciplinary responsibilities to the institutions of higher education in the Virginia Conference and oversees the mission and ministry of 13 campus ministries related to and supported by the Virginia Conference.
The Board also encourages support for the special offerings related to higher education (Black College Fund, United Methodist Student Day, World Communion Day, and Human Relations Day.)
Contact Paulo Lopes, conference director of Ministries with Young People, for assistance with these needs:
- Information about United Methodist schools
- Financial aid available and merit awards
- Sponsoring a college fair in your church
- Information about Special Day Offerings (U.M. Student Day, Human Relations Day, World Communion Day)
- Information about the Educational Fund apportionment
- Information about campus ministries in Virginia Speakers or resource persons available from Virginia United Methodist-related colleges
- Presentations about higher education or campus ministry
- Information about how to start a scholarship fund in your church
District Directors of Higher Education and Campus Ministry; or Paulo Lopes at PauloLopes@vaumc.org , Conference Connectional Ministries Staff, PO Box 5606, Glen Allen, VA 23058-5606, phone 804-521-1100 or 1-800-768-6040, ext. 134, E-mail BevMyers@vaumc.org
President, Board of Higher Education Ministries: The Rev. Herbert Brynildsen (HerbBrynildsen@vaumc.org) or (757) 851-8277