Commission on Disabilities
The Virginia United Methodist Commission on Disabilities (COD) affirms the responsibility of the Church to be in ministry with all persons, regardless of their physical and/or mental conditions. The COD functions as a resource group to conference boards and agencies to enable persons with all types of disabilities and challenging conditions to participate to the fullest extent possible as members of the Body of Christ on the local, district, and conference levels.
Virginia United Methodist Men have supported this ministry since 1972.
All monies donated support the following programs of the COD:
- Accessibility Grants — which assist local churches in working their way toward total accessibility in both church facilities and parsonages.
Program Grants — to assist any church and/or church-related organization wanting to develop new ministries with persons with disabilities.
- Respite Grants – established as part of the conference-wide initiative, "A Gift of Time," to encourage churches to become involved in providing or supporting opportunities for respite care for their members and communities.
- Camper Scholarships — to help campers who otherwise could not come to Camp Rainbow Connection without full or partial financial assistance.
- Disability Awareness Sunday resources
- Support of Conference Deaf Ministries
- Printing of Materials in Braille for churches, districts, conference events and individuals
- Provision of Resources to the local church, districts, and conference
A large part of the work of the Commission is in the area of education and advocacy.
For more information about the Commission on Disabilities, contact the Office of Inclusivity and Lay Leadership Excellence at: P.O. Box 5606, Glen Allen, VA 23058-5606; phone: 1-800-768-6040 or (804) 521-1100; fax (804) 521-1178; e-mail email@example.com
Disabilities-Related Documents and Forms
2017 Disability Awareness Sunday (pdf)
Disability Awareness Sunday FAQs (pdf)
Accessibility Audit/Survey (pdf)
Church Accessibility Checklist (pdf)
GBGM Accessibility Audit for Churches (pdf)
That All May Worship brochure (pdf)
Worship Seating (pdf)
Hearing Assistance Devices (pdf)
Ramp Specifications (pdf)
Bathroom Specifications (pdf)
A Guide to Nurturing Individuals with Disabilities Through Hospitality (pdf)
General Board of Church and Society Bulletin Insert (pdf)
Children/Youth/At Risk Adult Protection Policy (Word)
Disability Ministry UMMen Donation Report (pdf)
Grant and Scholarship Applications
Accessibility and Program Grants (Word form)
Respite Care Grant (pdf)
Scholarship Application (pdf)
UMDHM Grants (pdf)