Camp Rainbow Connection
2016 Camp Dates are July 10-15 and August 7-12
Deadline for new staff applications is April 15, 2016
(Scroll to the bottom of this page to find staff application forms.)
To request a camper application packet, e-mail CindyIngroff@vaumc.org
Camp Rainbow Connection is a week-long respite camp held once in July and once in August for individuals with intellectual disabilities. CRC started in 1985 at Westview on the James, a camp of the Fredericksburg, Charlottesville and Richmond Districts of the Virginia Conference of The United Methodist Church. That first year, there were 25 campers and a small staff of 15 volunteers. CRC has grown to two weeks – one in July and one in August – at the Blackstone Conference and Retreat Center. Each year, there are 120 campers from age 16 into their eighties and a staff of over 100 volunteers. CRC is resourced by the Center for Inclusivity and Lay Leadership Excellence.
The staff and volunteers of Camp Rainbow are dedicated to providing a wonderful and enriching summer program for each camper, along with a week of respite for families and care givers. Campers participate in a variety of activities including Bible class, music, arts and crafts, games, dancing and special activities. Our mission is one of healing and acceptance towards all God’s people. Even though we are a ministry of the Virginia Conference of The United Methodist Church (UMC), participation of people of all backgrounds, ability levels, heritages, and faiths is encouraged.
Criteria for Admission
Camp Rainbow Connection is a wonderful expression of God’s love. However, it is NOT for everyone due to its structure and location. Campers spend the week with others of various ability levels. Each camper is paired with a staff "buddy." Staff members give of their time as volunteers. For this reason, camp is not appropriate for individuals who do not meet the following criteria.
The potential camper must:
- Have a mild to moderate level of intellectual disability although other disabilities may exist.
- Be at least 16 years of age or older.
- Perform activities of daily living such as dressing, eating, bathing, and toileting that require little assistance. Note: An individual will not be admitted to camp if he/she cannot control bowel or urine elimination.
- Participate in all camp activities as appropriate.
- Demonstrate no physical and/or emotional threat to self or others and require little care in terms of his/her behavior.
- Document from a physician that no recent hospitalizations have occurred.
All application forms are due by April 1. We cannot allow any exceptions.
Space is limited and will be filled on a first come, first served basis. The cost of the camp is determined each year. For 2015, the cost was $500. Limited financial assistance is available upon request.
An application fee of $25 is required of all applicants.
Stacy Roberts is the camp coordinator. She can be reached at StacyRoberts@vaumc.org